Skip to main content

6-15-13 Running With Chocolate Milk

Today I ran, and got down to a 16 minute mile. As I was on the treadmill I had a funny internal dialogue, I started out jogging and was able to maintain breath control, but my legs were getting tired.
Internal Dialogue:
"Why are you running, you could be walking..." Then I slow the treadmill down to a walk.
-5 Minutes Later
"Why are you walking, you could be running right now..." So I start to run.

This process repeated a couple of times in my head, I told my wife about it this evening as we were heading to a BBQ in the canyon by our house. We got a good laugh out of it. It did get me thinking about internal dialogues though. I have tons of them. There have been days where I go to the gym and talk myself out of running for this reason or that. But there are times where it has helped me greatly, like testing for my Black Belt, or driving on long trips and everyone else has fallen asleep.

This little dialogues we have with ourselves can have a major impact on us. I think of school this past week, I am taking a figure drawing class and was really not focused a couple of days this week. I struggled to get anything to a mostly complete state. It wasn't until Thursday that I finally was feeling better, but the class ended for the week. Now I get to prep for it again, I have been doing a lot of drawing in my sketchbook for this class since Friday. So I hope that come Monday I am more with it and am able to glean more from the class. It was that little internal dialogue that hurt me so much when it comes to drawing, but now I get to address the conversations with myself, and change them to be more supportive. Putting up though guiders is what I'm going to do. When I run, have a note in front of my to reign in my thoughts and control the internal dialogue.

With my run (onto a different subject), I felt goof today. I get to do the 5 run 5 walk next week, and am looking forward to it. This is going to be a challenge to me because of that internal dialogue. I will run Monday after class and I will try to post before I go into finish school assignments mode (this figure drawing class ends Thursday and I need to finish my sketch book).

I will post my measurements again when I go to my doctor next (I think it's later next month).

Until Next Time...

I never explained the Chocolate Milk in the title, at the end of the Tri-State Marathon in December, they will be serving chocolate milk at the finish line. So I tried some at the end of my workout. It was really satisfying! So I now have some chocolate milk for my next run. It's the little things that really bring happiness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette