Skip to main content

7-13-2013 Proper Planning Makes for a Better Run

Today was a day I was looking forward to earlier in the week. I intended to run 3 miles for the first time, which I am adjusting that run to 3.2 miles (so I can run a 5k).

My planning problems. I signed up for an all night gaming event. I was up until around 7am having drank a bunch of Mountain Dew and ate my fare share of pizza, this morning I only slept for a couple of hours. Then after that I went shopping and got fast food for lunch and a soda. So I have gone all week without a soda (I discovered Mio which I don't believe is any better for me in the long run, but since it's not carbonated, it's better than soda right now). After shopping for some less than desirable produce and eating 2 doughnuts I made my way home to waste time playing video games, when I should have been sleeping...

So fast forward 3 hours and add a 10 minute nap I then went to the gym for my workout. I tried to start running at a slower pace than I have been, and sport a breath right nose strip to see if it would help with my breathing problem (it did some, but I am setting up an appointment this week with a doctor to check out my lungs I'm even getting winded walking up stairs, or over exerting myself a little).

I digress, my experience with my friend the treadmill. I set it to 4.9 mph, and started to run for around a minute before I realized the heart rate bar was getting further and further away (I was running slower than the treadmill). So I dropped it to 4 mph, same thing, then down to 3.5 where I stayed for the remainder of my brisk walk. I was no able to keep my footing very well as I kept going on the treadmill (when my wife walked in I turned to look at her and almost had a YouTube moment), but I made it 30 minutes before I accidentally knocked the emergency stop strap off. I was done at that point, and did not start back up. I got off and came home.

So here's the plan for tomorrow, lots of water, lots of rest and to bed at a much earlier time tonight and tomorrow night. No soda, and better quality food. Then Monday will be more water and stretching (adding it to the workout to see if I can avoid my Tibialus Anterior burning like it did you Thursday).

Until next time,
Riley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley