Skip to main content

7-20-13 If you don't know ask

I got the Altra Torin's that I was rambling about, and the Runners Corner staff was so helpful (as they always are). I told them what was going on with my foot, and the person who initially helped me said the same thing happened to him when he was playing soccer and that spending extra time stretching the ankle and making sure his cleats were loose enough is what fixed it for him. He also added that on day it just went away. So I was happy I talked to him first. After that it was the litany of trying different shoes on because I wasn't sure any more about sticking with Altra's since they are Zero Drop shoes (try to mimic the natural foot). So I tried on some Saucony Hurricane 15's (too narrow), Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 & 13 (pronation support was awkward to walk on), then the Mizuno Wave Creation 12 & 13 (I almost got these). When it comes down to it I am already running in a Zero Drop shoe and its corrected my pronation issues that I have had for quite some time. It was suggested that when running in traditional shoes you tend to heal strike more... I'm a big guy and don't need more impact pressure to my joints than I am use to. So onto my first run in these fabulous shoes.
At the Runner's Corner they have a group that meets up Saturday mornings for a long run. As I start to do those I am going to join them (from what I understand long runs can be easier with other people. Who knows maybe I'll make some encouraging running friends along the way.
Today's Run
My wife told me this picture makes me look like a villain who lost to a superhero in a fight. I think the superhero's name is Treadmill Man! Today running there was the same breathing issue but I started a little slower and that helped some, I was still struggling for breath the longer I ran. But my ankle did not hurt, my shins did not bother me, and my feet feel good. I only set my distance for 2 miles today because of the ankle pain yesterday. It felt good to get that goal today.
At the gym I get to see all sorts of people (most guys my size are either on weights, an elliptical, or bike. I haven't seen one other guy my size running. It must be quite the site to see me on the treadmill chugging along at 5 mph, at the same time two treadmills away (it seems to always be this way), a woman with a runners physique (slender with lean muscular legs) running at 7 mph... and running... and running. My 10 minutes of running is dwarfed by their 20+ minutes. I laugh a little at myself as I begin to compare myself with them. I laugh because there is nothing to compare. I'm three times their size and have been running with the intent of getting better for just over two months. They are inspiring to me, I hope some day when I am in the gym running in the middle of winter someone sees me going at it and gets that same inspiration, or is a little jealous that I haven't stopped running yet.

Next Week
Monday I will get the three miles and one of them will be a continuous run. I am making some minor adjustments to my running schedule over the next three weeks, and putting my focus on duration of my run. I don't think I'm where I need to be on continuous running to really start short and long run training. But that's not supposed to start for about a month, and a lot of changes can happen in a month.

Thanks For Reading,
Riley

PS: I am starting the book Born to Run, so far it seems like a good read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley