Skip to main content

8-3-13 My First Ever Race and the Lessons Learned


My First 5k
Me pre-race (the sun glasses block the anxiety)
Packet  Contents (Minus the window
scraper I left in my car)
So I showed up this morning at 7:30 to get ready for the race. The anxiety of all the people started to hit me first as I thought to myself, what the hell am I doing here I'm not a runner... So I freaked out as I did less than sufficient stretching and looked around. The only people I recognized were the employees from the running store I go to. So skip forward 20 minutes and here I am getting pictures taken by my wife and making my way to the starting line after 10k runners start. There are around 150ish people (maybe less), a surprising amount of pregnant women pushing strollers, and kids running with mom or dad. The gun fires and we all take off (me at methodical trot, or at least I think I was going at the right pace, I had no clue. So I continued that way for around 3/4 a mile, and started wheezing, which leads me to my first lesson learned on my first race since... elementary I think. I was a thrower in high school so all the running I did was a quarter mile warm up.

5k Lesson 1:
     Running outside is different than a treadmill!
Running outside was a lot harder than in the gym. Here's my support for this statement, I am able to run 2 miles (as of my last post) in the temperature controlled environment and on a flat surface. The road is sloped, so all the mid foot striking, even gate went to crap as I ran on the road for the first time. My right foot landed on the lateral arch then the rest of my foot hit the ground. So extra impact at an angle I didn't expect. After a mile my ankle didn't want to like me any more. I bet if I would have stretched more it would have helped.

5k Lesson 2:
     Walking is ok and Running works too
When I slowed down, I saw a lot of other people start slowing down as well. Some looked like this wasn't the first 5k they had ever done, and other like they just wanted to walk. I walked alone for more than half the race, usually on the sidewalk that was level. But when I ran it helped to have little goals along the way, like I just need to make it to that knocked over cone, or where the type of cone changes. When I go to my second to last corner I wanted to run the rest of the way, it didn't happen. I was running with too small of strides and it was bothering my ankle.

5k Lesson 3:
     What Matters Most is Finishing
When I turned the last corner and started the last quarter mile the feeling I had was amazing. I want that feeling more. Nothing else mattered to me but making it to the inflatable blue finish line. I was almost in tears as I crossed it because it was such an accomplishment. At that moment I crossed the finish line, the only thing that mattered was that I finished.

I want to run another 5k or 10k before I really get into my long runs. It was a good experience. I need to stretch more before hand and practice running outside more. I think I will change that this coming week with my runs, and start working outside more. I realize having a watch with GPS is a great tool in regards to keeping the pace you are comfortable with. I believe I started too fast, and that took some of the wind out of my sails. Running to the finish line was amazing, you forget everything that's wrong at that point in time and pray your MP3 player will have the right tempo of music playing.

I have been thinking about my posts and want to make them a little more positive for myself. I think that will assist with getting rid of the stinkin thinkin that I start doing periodically. I'm a lot happier since I have started running and want to keep that feeling going for as long as I can.

Goals for next week
• Run outside for 2 of my runs (Wednesday and Saturday)
• Stretch longer before the run
• Get a massage



Comments

  1. Running a race (as opposed to just running) is a skill that, to my knowledge, can only be learned by running more races. It's pretty much required that you completely mess up on your first one. I remember the hill at mile 2 of the first 5k I ever ran. It sucked. By the 3rd or 4th time I ran that race, I think I finally figured that hill out.

    Running outside is very different than a treadmill. I prefer the outdoors. It helps that I don't have access to a treadmill either. The camber (curvature) of the road can be tough on your knees and ankles and can vary a lot on different roads. Asphalt is softer than concrete, but the sidewalks are generally flatter. The best place to run though, is right in the center of the road, because it's flat there. My wife thinks this is a bad place to run, but if they've closed roads off entirely for a race it can be a good option.

    GPS watches can help you run the exact pace you want every time you run, like the running robot that you are. Wait, you're not a robot. There's no reason to think that you're going to be the same every day. Sometimes you are fast, and other times you are slow. Treadmills are very nice at keeping your pace for you, and GPS watches can mimic that, but don't forget to also teach yourself to "run by feel". As you run, you should learn your body and what the right pace feels like (which will vary from day to day). Now, maybe I just feel this way because I can't afford a fancy watch like that, but my trusty stopwatch and gmap-pedometer.com works well for me. Ok, long ramble over. Congratulations on your first race.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette