Skip to main content

8-5-13 2 Days Later, and a lot of Thinking (and a lot of grapes)

 Mastering the selfie (picture of me while hoding my camera in front of me) is something I am learning to do as I this blog. Today was a day that will go down in history of my selfies, I caught myself unaware. Just look at the expression on that face, it looks like I am going to chase away a member of the Paparazzi.

Onto better things. I finished my run about an hour ago, it was a hard run, but I feel better because of it. I did 15 minutes of non stop running took an eight minute fast walking break (Run was at an average of 4.7ish mph, walk was at 3.7) then picked up and rand again for just over five minutes, walked another five then ran the remainder. It wsn't my best running day, but that's ok. I will be trying a couple of new things this week. The first is running outside for 3 miles. I have an awesome app on my iPad that lets me make running routs along trails and roads. So I have planned out a 3 mile loop that is quiet in the morning. I will need to run in the morning because the heat of the days here in Utah can get higher than someone should run in in the afternoon (unless you like running in the heat). The other thing I am going to try on Thursday is doing a miracle mile (check out http://www.jeffgalloway.com/ if you don't know who he is. If I do one of these for my short run every other week I can get an idea of what my pace will be, and if I will be able to finish in the 6 hours that we're given to run the race. If I keep monitoring my running with the miracle mile and start integrating his techniques, I think I will be able to prepare myself better for my Marathon.

After I posted about my 5k, I read the comment left and decided to run more races before the big on. So here are the two additional races I will be doing in September and October. I wanted to do one in November as well but couldn't find one that worked with my schedule, but I'll keep looking.
Riley's 2013 Races
Funky 5k
Provo Halloween Half Marathon

I found a half marathon (Thankful 13) on November 22, and I think that would be doable with my big race 2 weeks later. I have until October at the latest to decide. It could be fun to run on Thanksgiving day then have some good food and a good nap. I would have to swap a 16 mile day with an 18 mile day, or just run from my inlays to the race, and from the race to my in-laws, that would finish off my miles for that day. If we go to St. Louis to see my family it will be a different story and a nice long run at sea level.

I think I have rambled on long enough. Until Wednesday, just imagine seeing that finish line and the joy that's there as you sprint to it, and all your aches and pains go away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette