Skip to main content

8-7-13 Outdoor Running...

So today was my first outside run. I didn't like it too much, but I will be doing more so I had better start liking it and quick. It's about 5 hours after my run and I am still feeling it. My legs are a little wobbly and I'm a bit jittery, which I think is due to a new supplement I tried (that had a lot of caffeine apparently).

Here's why I didn't like the run outside, I can go faster on a treadmill. That's the whole reason, it's kinda lame. When I went out to run it was mid 70's, cloud cover and windy. So the conditions were nice. The first mile and a half was all into the wind. The last part every time the wind picked up the little voice inside my head kept saying, "The wind is here to help you, start running again." I gave into the little runner in my head a couple of times between my little rewards of walking after I accomplished a distance goal running. I also started using a little mantra, "Come on Slim Jim, you can do this!" My first name is James I go by my middle name, and someone I really look up to started calling me Slim Jim when I was in my early 20's and lost a lot of weight. So the mantra is nostalgic for me, and brought a smile to my face as I ran.

Today I got my birthday present from my wife, it's a New Balance GPS marathon trainer watch (GPS watch with heart rate monitor). So I was able to gauge my distance better than my iPad app. After the run it told me my average split time (14:17), average heart rate (I didn't have the heart rate monitor on correctly), and average speed (4.2 mph). As I get used to running outside more I believe it will become easier for me to tell how I am doing without the watch telling me.

Looking at that picture I realize how bad my fuel into my body today was for my run. I really wish I would have had some more fruit and veggies. I am ashamed to admit I had 4 hot dogs for lunch... yeah that was a really bad idea and I regretted it as soon as I started running. An to the left you see my route that I ran today and that I will run again on Saturday and Monday.

No onto some more serious information. Tomorrow morning I have a stress test to make sure my heart is healthy, and hopefully dtermine why I am struggling breathing. Today I really struggled breathing, and if I can get that issue resolved I believe I can go longer with less of an issue. So after I do my stress test at 8:00 am tomorrow (going to sleep in 10 minutes), shower, and go to my last day of class I an on hitting the gym for an indoor run and then getting another post up with the results of the test as well as any wisdom gained on this journey through running.

I will post again in at least 12 hours. Until then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette