Skip to main content

8-31-13 Swallowing of Blackberry Gel

Total Miles for the Week: 14.15 of 16

So today was different, I didn't have any apprehension about running 6 miles until about 10 minutes before i started today. I am happy to say I did more running (slower than I would have liked, but I did run) than I did walking. The first 2 miles were hell. I worked my way up hill and started at too fast of a pace to finish it in a good amount of time. I stretched in the shower before I left to run, hoping that would be enough. I need to get out my sports massage and stretching books from massage school and redesign my stretching so it works better for what I'm doing. Today was the first time my IT band started to hurt some, I'll need to address that too.

So I posted I would be trying gel for the first time today as I ran. I didn't expect what hit my mouth as I was squeezing it in. I laughed after I had it. If you have never had gel (quick caffeine and carbs as you run, in a handy pouch). I took it when I reached the three mile mark. It's texture was like gel toothpaste, thick and smooth. Part of me wanted to chew it, another part wanted to spit it out, but the part that won just swallowed it and quickly drank some water afterward. It worked surprisingly well. But I believe that my attitude change after mile two helped it greatly.

Starting at mile 2.1 I started to have an attitude shift from hating life to wanting to push further. At the 1.5 mile mark I had justified to myself that I would go to the gym and run three more miles and finish my run that way. I would have regretted it if I did end up doing that. But I did turn and started running toward my car again, but by the time mile two was coming around I decided to run a mile and a half past my car and complete my 6 miles for the day. When I ran past where my car was, that was a great feeling. The side of my mind that wants to succeed was taking over. My last three miles I did a slow run almost the entire time (taking two 2 min breaks). I finished my run in 1:33. My last 2 miles were in 43 min compare to my first three which were 50. So it took 2 miles to have fun with running today, but I am looking forward to my new schedule next week for running.

Next Races:
3.1 for Don 5k: September 21
       I will be running the 3.1 in the morning and 7 more miles after the race. My goal is to beat my last time.
Provo Halloween Half Marathon: October 26
       Hopefully I will be sprorting a Batman technical shirt to run in (sans cape and cowl) this will act as my            long run for the day. Then my wife and I will do something for our anniversary. My goal is to finish.
Thankful 13 5k: November 28
       This is a maybe. It depends on what Silvia and I do for turkey day. My goal is to PR and have fun.
Tri-State Marathon: December 7th
       Just over 3 months away. My goal is to finish it.

Until Monday!

-Riley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette