Skip to main content

9-21-13 Segmented Running

Total Scheduled Distance:  21 miles
Actual Miles: 14
RPE: 3.375 (according to the Law of Averages)

Today I did a total of 10.14 miles. I had a 5k that started at 8, and finished with my new 5k PR of .... 41:19. Then after that I went directly to the gym to finish as much as I could of my 10 miles before my 11:00 a.m. geek out. I wish I would have just kept running instead of getting my geek on. I could have had more fun running. I made it 4 miles at the gym and it was good. I was a dripping mess of liquid awesome by the time I was finished. So it was a total of an hour and 40 minutes to get my seven miles in (mile 7 was really lazy compared to the rest. Miles 4-6 took 2 minutes longer than miles 1-3 (if I would have pushed a little harder when I had the energy I could have done a better time). My last three miles took place 5 hours after the end of mile 7. My wife and I went up Provo Canyon and did a half mile job, half mile walk until we reached 2.75 miles then we ran in the rest of it. It was slower than the rest of the day, but I believe it was some of the most rewarding. I got to spend time with my wife doing what I do most of in recent days and that is put miles on my shoes.

It was fun getting my wife out there and seeing her go through what I did when I first started even though there was 200 lbs. between our weights when we started. I am trying to convince her to run the Thankful13 5k with me (it's a half marathon, 5k, mile walk). It's Thanksgiving morning, the week before my Marathon, and fits in perfectly with my training schedule for the week.

Today I ran my second 5k, and it was more fun than the first for me. My ankles didn't bother me at all, but I still never really hit my stride (I'm pretending to have a stride that I hit frequently). I am sticking by that the first three miles suck when running. As I get a greater amount of endurance I will bust those three miles out before I run. It's strange to think that I like running more after I have run three miles, my body agrees.

Energy supplements when running. After my 5k I finished off my last three Jelly Belly Sports Beans (too little to late, I should have though ahead better and picked some up for the 5k this morning, then I did the Key Lime Accel Gel... I liked the hammer gel so much more. To hydrate myself when runing my 4 miles this morning I picked up a Gatorade, and sipped that over my entire run. Tonight I tried Pro Bar Bolt before the 3 miles with my wife. They were the tastiest energy supplement I have had so far. And finished my run with Powerade Zero. I want to make sure it's known I have downed a lot of water today and will be drinking more shortly.

The next item on my Riley Repair List, food going in the body. With school starting and getting sick my lackluster attempt at a diet failed with it.
So my goals this coming week body wise are:

  • Bring lunch with me to school and eat it 3 days a week
  • Get 100% of my running done

With that I say good night.

-Riley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette