Skip to main content

10-12-13 Running with a friend

Weekly Stats
Scheduled Distance: 28 miles
Actual Distance: 28.51 miles
RPE: 3.75

So here I am, my knee is a bit sore, my belly has a Reuben and pumpkin spice cheesecake to digest (and some chocolate milk). I am about to make my Saturday shopping list, where I am going to change out some of what we normally eat with healthier things. I am pleasantly tired and could nap all day (secretly I wish I had a Mountain Dew, but it's been quite some time since I have had soda). Today is the first day where my feet have really hurt after a run. The KTTape worked really well. The draw back is part of my leg is shaved, since I am only using it on my knee.

My run today was a really nice run. It's different having someone with you. Even though it had been 20 years since we have seen each other, conversation was really encouraging. When we reached the turn around point, after going up hill for 7 miles, I was stretching and a little girl asked why I was wearing tights. It was a funny moment. I forgot to start my map my run app at the beginning of the run, so I only have the split times for my last half as well as an estimated distance on my first half of the run. I am thinking it was a little more than what I have posted. Enough about me, my friend Kate road along with me today as I ran and was really encouraging, even when the bitter cold wind started to blow on us going up hill. I wasn't prepared hydration wise for the run, I forgot to double check the amount of water in my Camel Bag, and ran out around half way. Kate had brought an extra liter of water which was a life saver. I experienced running with someone by me earlier this week when my wife met me part way up the canyon on Wednesday night, and have to say that running with someone is really fantastic. Today was the first day I didn't use music, but it was comfortable without it. I look forward to running with more people. Oh yeah, after the run we went to Kneaders.

Running nutrition, I wanted to just eat sports beans the whole way. But I downed 2 hammer gels and a stinger gel. The stinger gel uses honey and tasted more like honey than strawberry, it also had the much needed caffeine. I know I wasn't hydrated enough due to me still having cotton mouth.

Among all this I forgot to mention, I JUST FINISHED 14 MILES! How cool is that?

Something you may find interesting, the miles on my shoes is...

Black Altra Torin: 116.78
Blue Altra Torin: 69.85

Well, until next time,
-Riley

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette