Skip to main content

10-23-13 Speed Drills, and another PR?


Right now my car is in the shop, so I am limited to the bus for my mode of transportation when my wife isn't around to be amazing and pick me up from school so I can make it up the canyon to run. So I took the bus to the hub where all the buses have transfers and what not, which happens to be by the runners corner (who sells those yummy sports beans I am always out of... maybe that;s why my run sucked Saturday, I didn't have the beans). So I got some sports beans and a light to attach to myself for running in the dark to chase away the boogieman who haunts the dark when I am surrounded in it. It's ridiculous to have a fear of the dark in my thirties... BAH! The light will help. So from there I decided (as I carried my overloaded backpack and gym bag) that I would walk the three miles to get home from where I was, and since I was carrying so much stuff I would be ok in counting it as a work out. It was a fairly hard workout. I walked at a brisker pace than usual, not to mention in was 60 degrees out and I was sporting a hoodie, and had 20+ extra pounds on me (which only 5 months ago was in the form of fat). So I got home covered in sweat, and really tired. So I rested and munched on a cucumber with Silvia who got home only seconds before I did.

Here is where the interesting part comes. It was super hard to get out today like it was on Monday, and I had a great finish to my workout like Monday. So I decided after my three miles I would do speed drills. Which is something I can do on a treadmill, so it was dark out which means no going to the canyon and I went to the gym instead. Keep in mind this is my first real attempt at speed drills. I did it in .25 mile intervals, starting at a 13:19 mile, and easy pace I can go at and catch my breath while still running. I started my first quarter mile at my slower pace to warm up a little, then transitioned to a 9:00 mile pace, at a half a mile I slowed down to my breath catching pace, then the last quarter mile I did a 9:30ish pace. I finished at 10:50. That smashed my previous PR time, but I want to recreate this time outside without the treadmill telling me what to do. I was able to pull off the 9:30ish pace on the first sprint for my second mile, but by the time I got to my second sprint in the second mile my legs were jelly. So I walked a half mile to finish off a half an hour work out.

I enjoyed my speed drills that I did, and am thinking I will do it again. I will do a nice and easy paced 2 to 3 miles then do the sprints. I wish I would have actually did my wonderful ideas for speed training earlier on.

I will be doing my 8 miles in the morning up the canyon. Until tomorrow some time.

-Riley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette