Skip to main content

10-5-13 Wearing the correct clothes for the season of running

Schedule Miles: 26
Actual Distance: 27.04
Week Average RPE: 4.25
I passed my 6 mile continuous run and now have it set at 6.7 miles. Today I went up to the top of the Provo Canyon trail. I made it down to where I started my run Wednesday and was so freaking cold. I am happy I picked up some winter gear over the past week, legs were still cold, but I warmed up after about a mile. I was sporting a wool base layer from Costco as my top (the sleeves were long enough to protect my hands a little) under my regular running shirt. I also got some Wright's Socks, which are amazingly comfortable. But I neglected to get gloves. A must for winter and fall running apparently.

It was different than usual today, I really had fun running my first three miles. I must be going crazy having fun with the first three miles. Did I mention it was cold? I paced myself better on my first 6 miles and was doing a good pace of around 14 min miles. I got close to mile 7 and my left knee started to hurt, on the left side. So I started to walk at that point, trying to find out where the pain was coming from. I cam to the conclusion it wasn't actually the knee itself, but the tendons and ligaments in the area, not the LCL, but the IT band. It's still in pain and I have had some ibuprofen to help it. It's not really swollen (which leads me away from thinking that it's a really severe injury). My left IT band feels like re-bar, so I believe it's increasing the tension in the area, making it extremely uncomfortable. So I ran really slow for about 2 miles, it really messed up my goal time for finishing, but guess what, that doesn't matter I still finished 12.71 miles.

I am liking my app MapMyRun for my phone. I can turn it on and it just tracks everything (including split times). I am able to toss my phone in my backpack and use my watch to focus on pacing my speed. I am also able to add in my treadmill workouts as well. It's kinda cool. If you wanna be friends on there look me up, it's Riley Horn in Orem, Utah.

Well it's time to consume those delicious carbs that I am craving so greatly right now. So until next time.

-Riley

P.S. Today my self talk went from "I like running..." to "I love running!" It was a great feeling when I realized it.

Comments

  1. The first things I start putting on when the temperature starts dropping is gloves and a hat. I keep a log of every run that records time, distance, pace, temperature, wind chill, dew point and everything I wear. I find this useful so that this fall when I get to the first run in the 40s, I have so idea of what to wear. Too cold is no fun; too hot is even worse. In an effort to not go broke buying running clothes, I wear tech shirts underneath cheap long sleeve cotton t-shirts. (Never, ever, ever run long distance with cotton against your body.) I do all of my running outside, and have been in Michigan and Illinois the last 3 years, so this is important stuff!

    I find that the coldest time of my run is 5 minute in; the weather has cooled me off, and the exertion hasn't fully warmed me up yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette