Skip to main content

11-13-13 Today is a good day to run


When running I discovered that not playing racquetball earlier in the day makes it easier to run. Today I did a two part run. Six miles on the trail in the canyon and two miles of speed work at the gym. I finished my fitness day at the Salt Lake Running Company with Lisa doing a follow up to my gate analysis (which apparently is going alright so far) she did suggest looking into another shoe if my Altra's start bothering my legs (my old Altra's are, but they are an everyday shoe). After meeting with her, I went to a foam roller clinic teaching a protocol to use the foam roller for the likes of me who have never used one before but needed to learn how for self preservation. I decided the foam roller is having fun with me as I work with it. To be honest I fear the foam roller.

My run today I did at noon, so I was a little hungry when I went out so I parked next to where my lunch would be... Bajio (where they ended up giving me a huge sweet pork burrito when I did finally go in and get food). I did a solid run and was at my 6 mile time of 1:24:00. So I was at a 14 min mile average (it would have been faster if I wasn't stopped at that red light... oh yeah and if I would have run faster too. I did expend almost all that I had left in my two mile speed drills through. My mind beat me as I was running those and I had to recover. It was two 13 min miles for those, which is a little slow, but I wanted energy to drive to this foam roller clinic. The clinic was amazing. Basic principal was to start at the distal end of the leg (part furthest from the heart) and work towards the hard, assisting the lymphatic and circulatory systems in the process. We started with the calves, then the shin splint muscle (tibialis anterior). Worked 1 leg at a time with hamstrings to IT band to quads to adductors (inside thigh muscles). Then we worked the muscle between the hip bine (greater trochanter of the femur) and the sacrum (the muscle is the piriformis). That last muscle hurt like hell when I found it with the foam roller. I was sweating hard at this point from going through the protocol. It was an additional 30 min workout. We did back, and then lats next. They were both really hard to do.

Today I started to panic about the life of my running shoes. Most of the miles on my shoes have been done at over 300 lbs. (as of Saturday I am now down to 295 so all miles will now be for someone less than 300 lbs.). So the average runner is said to get an average of 400 miles out of a single pair of shoes (I assume it is based off someone who is 175 lbs.). So I am doing the math in my head (175/400 equals a number, and if I take my 300 lbs and multiply it by 175/400 I get 685 and some change which means I go through shoes about 40% faster than someone who is 175 giving me only 230 miles per air of shoes). I understand my math isn't perfect but it makes sense in my artist brain. So I will be retiring my black shoes after my marathon and will use my blue shoes exclusively in my recovery period.

I want to share one last thing. At church a couple spoke who did the Vegas Ragnar. They were both ill prepared for it and hadn't trained for a couple of weeks leading up to it. He talked about how encouraging other people to keep going was something the helped him to keep going. I have noticed I run better when there are other runners around who are polite and smile at me and give me that knowing nod of, "I've been where you are, it gets better." So with the insight this speaker gained, I would like to challenge everyone who is a runner that reads this to make sure you say hi, and give encouraging words to those who look like they are struggling, I am going to try the same thing. Even if you don't run, you will still get warm fuzzies from doing it.

Thanks for reading,
-Riley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette