Skip to main content

12-5-13 High of 45 and a Chance of Snow

So I am trying to get everything squared away for my marathon, and the weather is frightening me a little. At the 7:00 am start time the temperature should be below freezing and raise to freezing by the time I get down to a lower elevation. There is a 70% chance of precipitation. Here's the link to the weather if you want to check it out Mesquite Weather. I am still running, I will give it my all and I will finish the race. I have run in the rain and sleet and snow, and know I need to get a waterproof jacket to be able to really be prepared. Because of the need for a waterproof jacket I will be heading out a little earlier than expected. But I got a good start on one of my art projects today, so I should be able to stay on track with getting out the door between 1:00 and 2:00.

Right now I am a bit nervous because of the weather, but I am still going to finish this race and get the medal I will earn. I am overwhelmed because of my homework load in conjunction with my race, and how the length of training has effected my school work. I am applying to get into the BFA program this spring, and don't feel I have quality pieces of art to submit for the portfolio just yet. So I will be busting my ass off over the next two weeks to get some of the work that is less than amazing to the level it should be. Here's a link to my website where my portfolio pieces will be appearing. Riley Horn Illustration

With this blog, I want to be able to help others change like I have been changing my life. So if you know someone who could benefit from reading what I have gone through so far, please share me with them. Again, thank you everyone who reads this. My wife and I will be moving back up to Salt Lake at the end of this month, so if you are in the area and want to do a run together, I would really like that, it would help to keep me running.

Have a great night and I will post again tomorrow, the night before the big race,
Riley

Comments

  1. Hope everything goes well for you this weekend, despite the cold. I run in the cold all the time, but I've never run a race in cold weather. You may want to have some clothes to wear at the starting line that you won't mind never getting back. Some races have a method of returning stuff, a lot just donate it to DI/Goodwill. But having a big, old, ratty sweatshirt might help you stay warm at the starting line. Once you get warmed up, dump it (at an aid station) and keep going. Beginners tend to over-dress for races, but I think you've done enough foul weather runs to have a decent idea of what to wear.

    Oh, another reminder: don't do anything in the next 24 hours that you haven't done before. Don't eat anything strange, don't wear anything new for the race, don't try a new type of GU, etc.

    Oh, there is one thing that you can do in the next 24 hours that you haven't done before: RUN A MARATHON!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette