Skip to main content

Tricking th Brain, The Run, and Running Long Term

I made it out, and only had to use two mind tricks to do it. First one was having all of my running clothes laid out for myself so when I stood up at my desk I saw them. Which led to me changing into them at the beginning of lunch. Second I committed to 10 minutes of running, 5 minute warm up then 5 minutes of running. By the time I got to the 10 minute mark I just kept going. I was really struggling to get out today. It's right around 78° outside. So a little on the warm side for my liking when running. I like closer to 50° and a bit of rain. Since I produce so much heat while running it's helps to keep me cool, causing me to sweat less.

The run was good, I ran more today than I did on Tuesday. Of the 4 six minute runs Number 1 was no stop, 2 was a 30 second walk, 3 was a 1 minute walk, and 4 was a 3 minute walk. My legs just gave out on that 4th leg of running. I'm a little under a month out from the Firecracker 5k, and know I will be able to finish, I just want to run as much of it as I can. I think that means more lower heart rate runs like today was. I did try to focus on form today, like standing up taller and leaning into the run. It's just so different than what I'm doing now that it's hard to maintain. I will try to do it for longer on Saturday. Saturdays run will be 5 sets of 6 minute run / 1 minute walk.

I've been watching a lot of running videos on the YouTube lately. It's been giving me a lot of thoughts on making sure I keep running as part of my life even if my goal isn't a race and is just feeling better. I want to make sure it is part of my life. When I was running while I was working on my undergrad it helped me with creativity and handling the stress of trying to get into my program officially. I want that back. So my long term goal with running is to keep doing it. Races help me have something to focus on, so I will use those to trick myself into running more and more.

I tried out my other new pair of socks today. They passed the test. It's official I have started the running sock collection again.

Thanks for reading.

-Riley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette