Skip to main content

Building Momentum and Today's Ramblings

Before the Run

It's Thursday morning, and my run was going to be later today. Mentally I'm not feeling the best. I hope my run will help me get out of my funk a little and give me the momentum to start feeling better. But it didn't end up happening. I will try again tomorrow.

I haven't signed up for the 10k training yet. I am still working on my marketing course. Hopefully, today will be the end of that course. I need to plan how to make that hope a reality. The course has a final paper (which I'm currently working on) that's a marketing plan. I have it almost complete. It's just getting the last few paragraphs done. I've been working on the class for quite a while and don't feel like I have any momentum built up to finish it easily. It's all muscling through it at this point.

I think momentum is what I need right now. Mentally, academically, and even in running. My missing runs over the past couple of weeks has really eaten away at what I had built up. With my academic momentum, finishing this paper should help in getting that started again, the next course in my program is one I am more familiar with so my goal is to finish that as quick as I can.

Post Run (7/7/23)

I did it. I made it through my run today! It's fairly nice outside, around 80° and the sun is out. About half way through my run I really started to feel the sun, but it was alright with my cold electrolyte drink in hand. I am finding my leg endurance isn't as high as I think it should be. More runs will help that and getting in cross training should help too. I also think different shoes will help as well. I am used to walking in shoes like Altras or Whitins that have a larger toe box than my new balance do and no drop. I really noticed that my New Balance are a little snugger than I really like and the heel is huge. I think my next shoe after my New Balance will be a pair of Topos, since they have that wider toe box also and a lower drop than what I'm in now.

I ran my regular route I've done the past couple of weeks, and due to the holiday it was garbage day. I avoided running next to most of it, but towards mile two I wasn't paying attention and got a nose full of stink.

The run did help me mentally, I'm feeling better than I have been. I can think a little more clearly as well. Getting my marketing paper done should be a lot easier now.

That's it for my rambling today. Thanks for reading.

-Riley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette