Skip to main content

7-29-13 Epiphanies Can Be Hard


My run today. I bumped my speed on the treadmill up to 4.8 today thinking that it wouldn't be much more of a challenge. I did the 4.7 without a care in the world last week, but that was then and this is today. Two things were different today than last time that I need to adjust. I need to start the run the night before by envisioning success, and ease of performance. The second thing was to stretch more effectively. My right Achilles is bothering me a little. But all that aside it was a decent run. As you can see I went 3.5 miles, the first 15 minutes I made it running non stop then I took a minute break then ran up to 22 minutes.

Mile #1: 13 min 05 sec
Mile #2: 13 min 40 sec
Mile #3: 15 min 00 sec
Last Half Mile: 10 min 15 sec

Last night I had an epiphany, I wish it would have stuck with me as I ran. The epiphany was I don't have to limit myself running to the times listed on the training schedule. It made a lot of sense to me then and it makes sense to me now. The trick will be to get my mind, lungs and legs to get along with each other.

Wasatch Wellness Run
I will be running my first 5k this Saturday. My goal is to run at my steady pace until I finish, and not be the last person across the finish line. This run I am not that worried about because I am already going the distance of the race. My personal desire is to finish in under 40 min. Which I know I can do.

Provo Halloween Half Marathon
On October 26th is the biggest half marathon in Utah. Right now I am considering running this. It falls on the day of one of 16 mile training days, so I need to figure out how to work that into my training schedule if I decide to do it.

Well I'll ramble more come Wednesday.

Until then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley