Skip to main content

9-7-13 4 Months Ago I started

This isn't Sweat
It's Liquid
AWESOME!

Week Scheduled Distance: 17
Actual Distance: 16.58

I saw that little tag line and it fits me to a tee. I have liquid ASWESOME around me all the time. Today I really didn't think I could finish 7 miles. I did it at the gym (which seems to be the story of the week). I discovered the discomfort of chafing, and now have pro glide to help with that. I also picked up a second pair of running shoes to make sure mine last as long as possible. I was going through shoes at the Runner's Corner (where they are always super helpful) and was about to decide on a pair of the newer Altra Instinct 1.5 when I saw on the clearance table a pair of blue Altra Torin, in a size 14. I asked the price, they were $30 less than the instincts and a minute or 10 later I was walking out the door with them. Today I christened them with 7.3 miles. I need to add two more holes for lacing so I can do the ankle securing lacing.

My run was nice. I really hit my stride at around the three mile mark. My brain really fights me until then. I think it just gives up at that point. I ran the majority of the time which was great. I discovered a few things today. Electrolytes after you have been running for 45 minutes helps. I had Hammer Gel today as I ran and it helped amazingly. I started to get light headed and stopped and got a Gatorade. My light headedness went away and I was starting to feel better. It took about 15 minutes or so but I finished my Gatorade and was able to keep going. At the end of the run my legs were like jelly. The second thing  I learned was eat something real before I run (not right before but enough before where I will have energy for running). The last thing learned was about chafing. I need to start doing things now that will help to avoid it. My right nipple burns like hell. IT SUCKS!

The past 4 months, I have stuck with this health goal longer than any accept karate. I am really changing my personal family tree with this venture. I am feeling better. My legs are in pain more, but with how I feel on the inside can't be beat!

Until next time...
-Riley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette