Skip to main content

12-7-13 Race Recap


I was a little scared when they dropped us off half way up a mountain in southern Utah. There was snow on the ground, and about 120 people who were gearing up to run a marathon. It's a small marathon, but as you get closer to Nevada you have some breathtaking views. Tomorrow Silvia and I will be driving home and will get some pictures of the views.

So the play by play of the run:
Pre-Run
Last night I only had one running dream, I woke myself up and said something to the effect of, "I am not going to dream about running tonight and promptly went back to sleep. I picked up my packet last night and had some hope of getting a sticker of the marathon, but I will settle for a 26.2 bumper sticker to put next to my Halloween Half bumper sticker. We bumped into a couple last night who were just picking up his packet as well. We ended up sitting by them this morning as we waited for the buses, she became the race photographer and he helped me out a lot at the end of the race (Lynn(SP?) & Chas).



When I woke up this morning my stomach was upset so I wasn't able to eat my bagel and settled for two bananas instead. Silvia rushed up and grabbed my music for me because I forgot it. Because of that I ended up getting on what looked like a prison bus. I slept all the way up to the starting point. Which I believe saved me from getting more nervous because then I didn't experience how far I was going.









Miles 1-3 First Aid station
I started the race with the gun. Since there were only 120 people I crossed the start line fairly quick. I was at a 16 minute mile pace, and soon everyone started to pass me. Much like the half marathon I ran, but that was the last I saw of just about everyone. I was a little excite because there was a man in his late 80's who was going to walk the entire race, which meant I was not going to be the last to cross the finish line. For the first three miles there was snow on the ground and a periodic flake that came down. It was nice to run and have a snow flake go into my mouth instead of a bug. I had one person drive up and ask if I was going to be alright. I laughed a little and said I'd be fine.

Miles 4-6 Second Aid Station
This was nice because my legs didn't hurt. The compression socks were the best thanksgiving weekend purchase. This is also where I took my first shot of gel. It never started raining lie the 80% chance of rain the weather forecast showed. So I took off my jacket, because under it I was sweating so bad. I made it to the second aid station and all was well. Mentally I was doing really good at this point. I only slowed down to take off my jacket and was keeping a 13 minute mile pace.

Miles 7-9 Third Aid Station
The wind started to pick up, and I was fighting putting back on my sweaty rain jacket, but started to get ridiculously cold and the jacket and sweaty gloves came back on not to be removed again until I got to my car. I started to warm up quickly and didn't sweat as bad. I still chilled myself to the core, which I wasn't able to recover from until I got into the shower after the race. I also noticed that something funny was happening in my left shoe. The insole was rubbing against my foot in a very very annoying way. I adjusted a few times throughout the race to make sure I wasn't going to get any blisters (I did end up getting one on my left big toe and my left big toenail has pressure building up under it. At the mile 9 aid station I realized I had pushed a little to hard so far and needed to slow it down, so I started to walk a mile then run two.

Miles 10-12 Fourth Aid Station
I repeated my walk run until I got to mile 16ish, but it gradually decreased to walk a mile run a mile. This is where the aid station clean up guys started to talk to me and encourage me. I was getting tired and hungry at this point (I had been swigging my cinnamon apple gel every 30 minutes at this point (it tastes a lot like apple pie). My camel bag water started to slush up in the tube at this point because of the cold weather.

Miles 13-15 Half Way Point
Half way there, and I hit the wall shortly after. I started to doubt everything, and look at my watch too much, and listen to my legs tell me they were exhausted. But I found two things that got me through it. One I remembered my wife was waiting for me at the finish line, and she supported me. Then I started to think about other people who supported me in various ways through the entire process, and ended with myself, and said, "I believe in me too." Then I started the mantra, "I am a marathoner" over and over again until I remembered I was. I also started my count down, because I was half way through at this point I started with 11 miles to go, and started to run again.

Miles 16-18 Fifth Aid Station
Stupid hills pissed me off! It was almost all down hill until mile 17. All the up hill at this point was gradual and able to be handled relatively easy. This is also were I found out that the man who was walking behind me had to withdraw due to not having enough layers, and it causing his heart not to function right. So I was on my way to mile 18 and had to ascend this hill. This hill was a beast and my legs weren't liking me too much right now. So I walked up the hill, and made it to the aid station for a brief break with three cups of water, one cup of Hammer Heed (which I think taste horrible normally, but it was sweet nectar to me at this point in time.

Miles 19-20 Sixth Aid Station
I hit another little wall here and when I got to the aid station had to decide I was finishing this. I also came to the realization that I was on my last 10k of this massive run, and I knew I could do 10k regularly, but then the hills returned with a vengeance. I decided I would run down hill when I came to it and walk up hill. That worked until mile 24 when my legs quit wanting to respond to my directions.

Miles 21-22 Seventh Aid Station
More hills and beautiful scenery. Lynn and Chas cam back by and stoppe, she took some photos and he encouraged me from the car.

Lynn & Chas
Miles 23-26 Eighth Aid Station
Chas got out at this point and said he needed to get the lactic acid build up to decrease and wanted to know if he could walk with me for a while. He was a life saver and easily distracted me from what my body was yelling at me. He also paced me and made sure I pushed as much as I needed to finish the race. I am very grateful for his help.

At mile 25 my wife was standing there with a sign that read "Super Riley" with a picture of me drawn on it, and under the drawing it said "My Hero." I about started to cry at that point because it was such a wonderful sign. I discovered after the race Silvia did go looking for me but didn't find me so she could cheer me on.

At the aid station I found out I had 20 minutes left to be able to finish the race and have it count. So I walked some more and then started running, and ran up this massive hill (most of the way).

Mile 26-26.2 Finishing a Marathon
 I made it to mile 26 and Chas said you are running the rest, and that's what I did. He was encouraging me and Silvia was too. I was so exhausted and Chas said, "When you finish you won't remember this pain, so just keep running." I made it to the last street and turned left and started to pick up speed to an amazing pace, which was most likely around a 14 minute mile. I was here, the finish line, they hooked back up the computer when they saw me recorded my time as I crossed the line. I did it, I did what 1% of the people in this world have done. I have just run a marathon. My eyes welled up some, but I guess they didn't have the energy to cry or else I would have.


So here I am now, calves sore and feeling great. I love the fact I was able to accomplish this goal in a short 7 months. I have to somehow thank the authors of "The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer" for giving me a guide to follow as I went through the experience.

Last thoughts, I will not be running another marathon while I am still working on my under grad. It took a lot of time away from studies that I really needed. But I don't regret doing this run in the slightest. My wife and I noticed a few changes that have happened over the past 7 months, the first being a 30 lbs. drop in weight. Second I have become nicer (to everyone). Finally I have become more caring.

I will post any additional thoughts I have over my off week from running. But I will start up again with running for health and getting rid of these extra pounds, and training for my next race.

Tanks for reading,
Riley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette