Skip to main content

6-27-14 & 6-28-14: Ragnar Wasatch Back Relay

So it's Sunday morning after the Ragnar, I am listening to the TV on the BYU channel and drinking a diet coke in a hotel room. I have had a rough day and needed some fairly quiet time. I was at church and forgot to take one of my medications that helps me to focus, and not hear every conversation, every baby crying, and every couple talking around me. I was so overwhelmed with sensory overload I had to leave the building before I could finish my Sunday meetings. The hotel room is because our apartment flooded, and the dehumidifiers are going full boar. So out apartment is close to a noisy 100ยบ and we were advised to stay in a hotel until they could get things sorted with our home.

Before my first run Friday morning I got a phone call telling me that our apartment was flooded. I thought the worst and was ready to find out home unlivable and filled with sewage. It wasn't I'll clear that up right now. But Silvia and I are displaced for right now. So I have yet to have the comfort of home after a big 2 day race. Silvia and I both miss our home, because it's where we live and love one another. We are hoping that we can go back and live in our apartment while they are working on it for the next couple of weeks. We are also considering moving again since this is the second flood in the past year. But we have yet to decide on that.

Enough with that. Here's the Ragnar recap!

Team Name: "There is no shower in TEAM!"

Van 1 Team members:
Runner 1 - Wendy
Runner 2 - Irene
Runner 3 - Bryan
Runner 4- Ty
Runner 5 - Me
Runner 6 - Mitch

Leg 1-6 Overview:
Everyone in my van rocked their runs (I don't think I did as well as everyone else, but I believe that my own personal doubt that is telling me that). Traffic at the exchanges was miserable. And lunch after was amazing. The MVP of this section was definitely Wendy, who started us out strong, and under her projected time.

My first run, Leg 5 - 7.4 miles: "What the HILL?!"

This is what my leg was called, "What the HILL?!" Seriously, what was I thinking when I chose this? I always wanted to try trail run, I thought. This is a big hill and I run hills all the time, I thought. Then my training fell into a slump with a combination of depression, work, and schooling. I missed most of my runs for two weeks, I was really down and didn't like how I was feeling. So with botched training I approached this first run. Holy crap, I told myself as I started running, what am I doing? But I continue to run, and walk, and run, and walk. The hill was a dirt road of mud as it rained off and on all morning. This was my hardest run. I have never run in mud before, and it was hard. I can't say I liked it very much, my feet both sticking to the ground momentarily and slipping. If it wasn't for the van support of my teammates who relieved me of my Camelbak and provided me everything I needed as I ran, I wouldn't have been able to do it as well as I did. I am stubborn and wouldn't let myself stop, even if I had to walk to entire hill. If you look at my splits you can see I walked a good chunk of it, and if you were there you would have seen just about everyone walk at one point. During this run I had 2 kills (passed two people), and had many pass me. The worst thing about the entire leg was the congested exchange points. I had to get out and run to meet up with Ty (who ran the previous leg), who had come back to meet up with me after he finished, so he could pass the slap bracelet. After I got the exchange I started running, and my headphone's battery died, so I was without my much needed music for about 2 miles. By the time I got some headphones I was just around the half way point. The music was a nice escape from my negative thinking. One of my support stops I squeezed my GU (chocolate) into some water and shook it violently. It ended up tasting like a yoohoo which I really like. So with that, I started running again, listening to a Justin Timberlake song (it's one of my songs I normally don't mention), but I decided to run through the whole song, as I was getting fatigued towards the end of my run. The song never seemed to end, and when it did finally end I was getting ready to walk, and made it through part of the Maroon 5 song that came next. I then walked. My body wasn't as fatigued as my mind was. That time with the music had a really negative effect on me. There were times where I started my mantra of, "I have strong legs, strong lungs, and a strong mind!" I made it through some tougher parts of the run because of that. With this leg completed, I decided if I do another Ragnar, that I would never do leg 5 again. Later on during the race I decided otherwise. I would do that leg again so I could have a rematch with Avon Pass.

Leg 13-18 Overview:
The super star of this set of legs was definitely Mitch. Everyone did well on this second set of runs, but Mitch knocked it out of the park. it was a nice cool night, and he was cruising at a steady pace. During his run I bumped into my friend Kate who I tried to get onto our team at one point. It was really cool to see someone I know out there doing Ragnar.

My second run, Leg  17 - 4.2 miles: Night Time Run

This was a really nice run, and if you have read older posts you would know I really don't like running at night, but here I was running at night. I had 2 kills again on this run, and cemented myself as the slowest runner in our van. I did have a good time running this leg in spite of it being in the dark. I had music the entire time which was handy. When it came to the exchange, I forgot to put my number on my shirt before I started running, and had to run back to get it, making Ty wait for me. We had another wonky exchange here. The first mile of the run was into oncoming traffic, and was a little scary when I had to cross a bridge without a real foot path on it. This leg took place in Morgan, UT. This is where I noticed people who had passed me on my last leg started passing me again here. It was a repeat of this for each leg. So I saw a lot of the same people. I started this leg too fast when it comes to running, if I would have kept it around a 12 minute or 12:15 mile, I would have been able to maintain a better pace at the end. I just got caught up in the excitement at the exchange. I was only 4 or 5 minutes off my projected pace for this leg. During this run I really had to pee the whole time, because I really focused on staying hydrated throughout the entire event, I felt like I was using the restroom at ever stop.

Leg 25-30 Overview:
The MVP of this leg is a tie between Irene, Ty & Bryan. Each for a different reason. Irene because she made it through he run with less that ideal circumstance, Ty, because he finished so quick (sub 7 minute miles), and Bryan because of the roadkill up hill battle he had. He was unsupported on this leg by the van because it was along the highway.

My last run, Leg  29 - 4 miles: My final run of Ragnar

With this final leg, I had more energy than I expected, I wish it were because I had sufficient recovery and nutrition, but I think it was because I didn't push as hard as I should have on the previous legs. That said I pushed on this leg. I did have a slightly slower pace on this leg than leg 17, but I finished it strong with a sprint. I was feeling tired near the end, then I saw a little kid who was giving out free lemonade. It was very helpful there at the end. I also poached someones victory tunnel. This leg was through Heber, and again with my first mile I pushed too hard, and messed up my pace. But I did sprint my last 200ish yards.

After the race we went napped and showered. I slept in the suburban up until my last run, but was so exhausted last night I fell asleep on top of the sheets without prepping for bed. It was tiring and yes I would do it again. Now it's time for a recovery week, where I just focus on school for the next two weeks. Thanks for reading. I will post after my next run.

-Riley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette