Skip to main content

Mental Health Run, Change of Scenery, and Weekly Numbers

Running today was a mental health run. Last night was a rough night with our little guy. He didn't want to go to sleep and stayed up until almost 11:00pm. His normal bedtime is around 8:30pm. We also had a 2-year-old staying with us because of someone we know getting hurt to the level of going to the emergency room. So we had their little one stay the night with us. So all of a sudden, two toddlers and my capacity to handle it at a 0. So yeah today was a run to process all the crap from last night.

I thought for my run today I would do another change of scenery. I ran the path leading up to the park I ran on Monday. It turns out to be a little hillier than I thought it would be. I did 5 out of 6 running segments. I went out too hard for my first mile, and it zapped me for energy. On my watch, the run is showing up as 9 sets of stairs. One more and I meet my daily goal of 10. The run was a nice run, later in the day I would bet it's an even better path because it's lined with trees that would put it in the shade. I will be running the path again (probably next weekend). This week I didn't get my strength training in as I was hoping. I didn't do the greatest on my eating yesterday when I planned on doing it. It got to lunch and I was too focused on food because of not having a little something during my break earlier in the day.

Today I opened up my old running clothes and found a pair of shorts that will fit me from when I started running originally. I also went through all my racing shirts and shirts from groups I was in. I lived 30 minutes away from where the group was based. I only made it to the runs, no social things, and everyone was much faster than me, so a lot of running alone. It brought up many memories and emotions from that time, like running my first 5k, my first half-marathon, and running Ragnar. It was fun to remember those times and see that I have many running clothes for when I go down in size.

Last week in numbers.
  • Workout: 
    • Monday: Warmup (5) | The Hill | Cooldown (5)
    • Tuesday & Thursday: Warmup (5) | 6-minute run / 2-minute walk x5 | Cooldown (5)
    • Saturday: Warmup (5) | 6-minute run / 1-minute walk x5 | Cool down (8)
  • Total Time: 3:06:11
  • Average Split: 0:18:56
  • Total Distance: 9.88
  • Shoes: New Balance Fresh Foam X 880 v12
As always, thanks for reading.

-Riley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette