Skip to main content

12-4-13 The time draws even closer


My run was on a treadmill, which bores me to tears! I really need to make it outside to run in this weather. 

Alright here is my pre-race events for Friday and Saturday, and what I am doing to prepare for the run. This week I have been eating more carbs than normal (I didn't do the carb depletion, then load). I am not sure if I have had enough carbs though. So tomorrow I will increase carb consumption (and tonight).

Friday game plan:
• Up at 7, to start work on home work
• Double check to make sure all race day gear is ready
     • camel bag loaded
     • clothes packed
     • breakfast packed
• Work on master copy of figure drawing for 2-3 hours
• Finish 2 panels for Narrative Illustration Assignment 2-3 hours
• Eat at Cafe Rio
• Drive down to Mesquite and check into hotel
• PICK UP PACKET! (it will be at the hotel)
• Work on three bears digital painting
• HYDRATE (all day)
• 9:00 PM Bed
• Wake up after dreaming about running a marathon
• Go back to sleep
• Wake up after dreaming about running a marathon
• Go back to sleep
• Wake up after dreaming about running a marathon
• Go back to sleep
• Wake up after dreaming about running a marathon
• Go back to sleep

Saturday:
I don't have any superstitions that I need to do before I do a big event, accept maybe brooding around and giving an unapproachable vibe. I do that quite well. I will follow closely to what I did prerace for my half marathon, I will have a banana and a bagel with peanut butter with me and eat about an hour before the run starts.
• 5:00 AM wake up
• Shower
• Eat something small
• Paranoidadly check all my gear
• Drink more water and panic that I didn't drink enough water
• 5:30 or 5:45 make my way to the 6am bus
• Head out to the start line, pace to keep myself warm
• 7:00 AM start my Marathon
• 7:00 AM - 845 AM -- Run
• 8:45 AM - 1:30 PM -- Run More
• 1:30 PM Be finished, wearing a my medal that I earned!
• Walk around until I can't
• FOAM ROLLER /  Massage from amazing massage therapist wife
• Get into ice bath at the hotel
• Take a hot shower
• Walk around until I can't, and go to a buffet and replenish carbs and nutrients
• Come home
• Make sure my legs are stretched out and not killing me, and work on some homework
• Call it a night and go to bed

It seems simple enough when I write it all down, but the most important part of it all is finishing that race in enough time for it to count. If you read and see something I missed that I should have on there, please let me know, and I will add it to my written list.

This journey has been hard. I knew I wanted to change something about myself, and I believe I have already, but there is still a lot more I want to change. I hope that you will keep following my blog even after I run my marathon, and work towards my new goals of half marathons throughout the year. So you know I am up to suggestions for a more permanent name for my blog after I run my marathon, because the marathon is just the beginning.

Thanks for reading today, and remember I really don't like the treadmill, I though it was a torture device of some sort before, but now I just get bored.

Also to Holly who sent me the message, you are a brave woman giving up Caffeine. I think I will follow that example as well.

Until Next Time,
Riley

Comments

  1. OK, so you mentioned that after the race you want a new name for the blog and I'm trying to think of one but can't come up with one right now. I did want to share that I'm working on a new eating plan thing called Take Shape for Life and I've thought of you a couple times and wanted to mention it to you. I'm probably overstepping or something but it does provide somewhat quick weight loss (like 2 lbs a week) but would require you to cut down on running for awhile. The truth is I'm finishing my first month (it does involve meal replacements which I at first was totally against but researched for about a year and finally decided to try) and I'm missing running. I actually stopped working out and am starting back up on Monday next week but I just miss the thrill of running and wanted to say that your blog helps me through it. Let me know if you're interested in the TSFL thing... it's really about a complete habit change, kind of a big commitment but I'm dropping weight and feeling mentally clear. Anyway- I'm so excited for Saturday for you. You rock and I told your amazing wife last night that you'll be awesome and there's so many of us rooting for you. Run hard and endure!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Run Today

Today was impacted by a late night last night and no baby sitter this morning. So I didn't make it out to run. I will be doing a 4 run week next week to make up for it. So run Monday, Tuesday, Strength training Wednesday, run Thursday, and run Saturday. Thanks for reading. -Riley

12-2-13 Mental Health Run

Today was one of those runs that I needed to de-junk my brain. The junk builds up almost always when I have a critique at school that doesn't go in the slightest bit favorable. I am frustrated with my art right now. And having a marathon this Saturday doesn't bode well for time. Next week I have 3 big assignments due... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Well onto my run recap. It was really short. I counted my cadence, which is around 160 at my long distance running speed. Apparently the ideal is 180. The ideal meaning that the body runs at that speed the best (or something like that). I figured it out by counting the strikes of my right foot over a minute. When I pushed myself to 180 I was going at the pace I did for my run last Thursday. It took the run today to get my head in order. I will be able to keep things in order upstairs a little better. Well thanks for reading, -Riley

More in the Tank

Today I did not want to get out and put in my time. I intended on doing my 20% workout today but ended up just doing my regularly scheduled workout. I did 5 sets of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. I could keep my heart rate down more which was excellent, and I still finished with the same distance as the past couple of runs. As I finished my time, I realized I had it in me to go further. But I knew my 30 minutes was up and it was time to stop and go and use the restroom. I pondered having some energy left in the tank for a bit and decided it's better to have that than be completely spent on my day off where I need to get some homework done.  I did experience what I used to when I ran years ago, the first mile sucked. I got to the 3/4 mile point and almost went home. My ankles hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired. But I decided to keep going, and I'm glad I did. Today's run feels good now. It was shortly after the 3/4 mile mark that things started to feel bette